Saturday, October 24, 2015

Estes QCC Explorer Build Part 11, First Paint on Intakes


I thought I filled all the seams and notches with CWF and sanded primer filler! Obviously not.
These intake tab notches are hard to get smooth!
On the sides you can still see some of the tab notches.
Oh boy! - more filler and sanding.

EDIT: I've got to be honest. I got so frustrated trying to get the intakes smooth I set the model aside for six months.
Every built QCC model I've seen has tab notches showing through the paint.
Sometimes I take a break from a model and hope a solution presents itself.
I found a "fix"! See the next blog post.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    When painting how do you wipe off the dust before spray painting? No matter what I do it seems like I always find a little dust bunny that shows below the the paint. I don't know it is there before I paint or happens during painting. I'm guessing spray painting causes static because the hair on my arms stick up after spraying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      I simply brush off the model with a 1" wide "chip" brush before painting and hope for the best. I occasionally get small paint blobs which usually means sanding and more painting.
      The hair on your arms sticking up is probably some paint getting on your arm. You may not see it, I notice it if I ever use a clear coat.
      There is a lot of paint in the air when you spray - if you don't already, WEAR A MASK!

      Delete