Sunday, September 6, 2026

Boy Scouts & Rocketry, Paying It Forward

A few days back I walked to the grocery store. Outside, a group of Scouts was selling popcorn. Girl Scouts still sell cookies, Boy Scouts now sell popcorn. I looked closer and noticed model rockets on the kettle corn bag. 

The Scoutmaster asked if I was a Boy Scout. I said: "Yes. Scouting and rocketry got me through my teens." Two Scouts asked me about the rockets.

I don't always carry cash, that day only a debit card for groceries. I picked up a few things and returned home.

I immediately went upstairs to the rocket room and pulled two starter rockets from the kit stash. I grabbed some money for a donation. Returning to the store the kits were presented to the two interested Scouts. 

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Chris. I've given many kits away to kids and teachers who were interested in model rockets and flight. This is what the hobby is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cub scouts and now Scouting America (co ed Troops and Packs have existed for almost a decade now) has been selling popcorn for a long time now. I've done multiple rocket events with Packs and am a Space Exploration Merit Badge Counselor. Always a good time. That's for supporting your local Pack!

    ReplyDelete