Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Estes Strikefighter, Kit #2015, Build, Part 2, Making The Cardstock Rings

There are cardstock rings that slide over the 1/8" diameter dowel "gun and radar pod". I don't have a laser cutter, I'll have to cut them out by hand.

The template PDFs from Jim Z's printed up full size when when checked against the printed ruler.

The larger ring was printed onto 115 lb. stock, cut out and traced onto framing mat stock. The center hole wasn't cut out. 

Small thick rings are hard to cut out with a hobby knife. I used some heavy scissors. Just make them as round as you can.

Sand down the high spots using 220 grit on a block.


On the left is a rough cut with scissors.
On the right is after sanding and rounding with the sanding block.
 


Six are needed, I had to throw out one.
They're not kit perfect, but will be fine on the clone build.

7 comments:

  1. I stare in horror at the thought of hand-cutting all those rings. That is some true dedication and/or masochism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      Masochism? No, just a retired guy with time on my hands.

      Delete
  2. This is one of the reasons I looked into buying a laser cutter. Trying to cut out centering rings and other items like that by hand never worked out really well for me. They always seemed a bit off. The laser makes it a lot easier and a lot more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Hand cut rings aren't perfect. I like a challenge and don't have the room for a laser cutter.

      Delete
    2. The one I got isn't very big, or expensive. It is an ACMER S1 with a 6W laser. Work area is 130 x 130mm. Overall size is 250 x 250mm (about 10-inches square). I got mine for about $130 six months ago, they went up about $30 since then. Here's a link to the laser on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/ACMER-S1-Engraver-Engraving-130x130mm/dp/B0FLQF1MDF.

      Delete
  3. Attach it to a dremel cut off wheel stem, then use a blade to cut it like a lathe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a Cricut Maker 3 to cut centering rings out of mat board. Does nicely on vinyl decals as well.

    ReplyDelete