Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TIP: Champagne Flute Nose Cones Part 1



If you're like me, whenever I'm stuck shopping I always look for things that could be made into a rocket.
Today I was at the Dollar Tree store.
I walked past the Valentines Day junk and saw this plastic champagne flute.

I'd read of others making nose cones from plastic glasses before but had never tried it myself. This looked like a good candidate for a nose cone.

I grabbed a ruler from the stationary section of the store. The open mouth of the glass had a perfect 2" outside diameter.
I bought one package of two glasses for $1.00.



TIP: If you look for these glasses, check the neck of the glass and be sure any air bubbles are far enough away from where the nose cone tip will end up.

I had to look at a few packages to find the bubbles far enough away down the neck of the glass.





I cut off the base of the "glass' and started sanding.

First with 100 grit, then 220 and finally 400 grit.





Here's the two finished nose cones.
This is tough plastic with almost no seam down the sides.


My next order to Quest will include some 50mm body tubes.
It should be a very close fit!

You may only have until February 14th to pick up these Champagne Flutes at the Dollar Tree store, they are not available on the website.

Until I try them on the Quest 50mm or Semroc ST-20 tubing, I'm not making any claims they'll be a perfect fit - probably real close though!

For part two of this "Cheap Nose Cone" build click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment