Sunday, August 21, 2011

Centuri Nomad Clone Build Part 11 Decals

I won't be going into any detail about the white paint. There's no masking involved, the entire rocket gets an overall coat of white.
I did use gloss white, the decals will adhere better to a smoother gloss finish.

The picture at the right was a good plan anyway.
This stanchion decal goes around and over the launch lug and standoff.

The entire decal sheet was coated with clear by the vendor. There isn't any open area in the middle of the decal to fit over the lug and standoff.

If I were to cut a rectangle, there would be sharp corners and more chances of the decal tearing. To avoid this, I thought I'd make the inside corners round. Out comes my handy rotary punch again.

Straight cuts joined the punched circles.
The clear topcoat on the decals were too thin.

After a short 10 second soak in water, they folded in two and turned under.
I couldn't get them flat and open again no matter how many times I coaxed the edges with a wet brush. I ended up throwing these two decals away!The other decals were hard to apply but usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment