Saturday, November 21, 2020

Estes Asteroid Hunter #3224, Build, Part 20, Masking The Center Area

The recess below the nose section is painted a darker color than the body. The instructions say Dark Gray, the face card shows Black. I went with the Dark Gray from Ace Harware.
If the surface is clean and smooth, I use Scotch Tape for my masks. To better see the clear tape edge, I hit it with a wide point Sharpie. Wipe off any excess black ink so it won't get on your fingers or transfer to the model.


Thin strips are cut with straight lines through the wide ink line. Shown above, cutting through the middle of the two lines gives you four thin strips of masking tape.

This was a complex mask requiring many small pieces of tape. After the edges were masked with the inked Scotch tape, brown masking tape follows and a plastic bag over the large areas.
Oops!
I didn't cover the areas immediately below the Scotch tape masks. Stupid mistake - I had some darker gray overspray. 

While the paint was still soft, I lightly scraped most of it off with my dull pocket knife. The pocket knife blade is rounded, there's less chance scratching the surface. The remaining paint was cleaned off with careful use of a Mister Clean Magic Sponge. 


Here's that same area after some careful paint removal. 

Look down the right side edge, you can see some of the paint was removed! The Magic Sponge can take off more than you might want, especially over a sharp corner. 
I'll spray some light gray in a cup and roll on some paint on the edges using a Q-tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment