Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Model Profile - Eric Truax Carded Patriot

I finally finished up and flew my carded Patriot.
It's 10 1/8" tall and the body diameter is .736" or a BT-20 size.

This is an Eric Truax design available HERE
Scroll down and click on Eric Truax's Patriots - DPILEGGI
Sorry, this is the best way I found to get the link.



I picked the version with the yellow top. This paint scheme was never on the real Patriot, it's just something the Estes folks came up with.

You can make a nose cone out of card stock, but I went with a balsa cone.



The fins are called "Fast Flight" air foiled fins.
It's an interesting way to glue the outside skins over a internal card stock support.

I didn't install the rear shroud, I had some problems making it. The mount was glued in with the motor mount tube flush with the end of the main body tube.

I've flown it with 1/2A3-4t engines. Open Rocket says it got to 207 feet. With a A3-4t engine it'll get around 532 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment