Wednesday, October 12, 2011

LAUNCH! Soccer Field, October 11, 2011

After all the wind and rain this past weekend , Orlando finally had a calm morning. I got to the soccer field just before 8:00 a.m.

I rarely fly "naked" but I was trying out a new build of the Bruce Levison design - the CORKSCREW. This version had a shorter body tube, closer to Bruce's original design.
With a 1/2A3-2t engine it had a very pronounced corkscrew flight pattern.
It still flew stable and vertical and seemed to be "drilling" on the way up. Perfect flight and recovery under a red plastic streamer.


This was one I couldn't explain.
My MPC NIKE SMOKE went unstable launched with an Estes B6-4!

It stuck nose first into the ground and the end tip was broken off the plastic nose cone.
I examined the engine and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I don't know what went wrong, it's always been stable in the past.




My Semroc ASTRON flew well with a 13mm A3-4t friction fitted into a 18mm casing.
For some reason, this Semroc blue and white parachute is always sticky so it gets shaken out before a flight.
I would estimate the altitude was around 350'.






If the wind is calm, the Odd'l Rockets CYCLONE flys.
This one is an old protype and was loaded up with a 1/2A3-2t engine.
From a peak altitude of around 375 feet, the upper half spun for a 25 second duration.




Also flown:
A second flight of the CORKSCREW with an A3-4t engine. Estimated altitude was 550 feet. The corkscrew spin was much more pronounced and very evident with the smoke during the coast phase. Streamer recovery and no damage on recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment