Friday, October 21, 2011

Centuri Finless Finished!











I like the finished look, the aluminum trim helps set it off.

Lessons learned:
I didn't get as good a seam fill as I'd hoped. I tried a new smaller can of Dupli-Color Perfect Match Scratch Filler Primer after my larger can ran out. The larger can is a different formulation and filled the seams on other models much better. I'll be using the larger can style of primer next time.

Don't fly this model with a C6-5! The extra weight of the C engine will add too much weight to the rear and it will be unstable!
I have flown it with an A8-3 and B6-4 with good results.
From the Centuri plans, the recommended engines were the A8-3, A5-2 and B4-2.

4 comments:

  1. Can you add clay to the nose to allow for C motor flights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've thought about doing that. But that's where I stop.
    Even using a C engine, the increased nose weight weight would cancel out any altitude gain, probably setting you back to the height an A engine would reach!
    There is already the recommended .40 oz. of clay weight in the nose.
    It's too bad, I really like the looks of the rocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you add some extra fins to help stabilize it, so you can use the c engine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      I guess you could add some fins to the rear but that wouldn't be "Finless" anymore. Red River Rocketry has the Starliner DST, conical stabilized with small fins.

      Delete