Sunday, April 21, 2013

Launch Tampa TTRA April 20, 2013

I almost didn't go to the Tampa TTRA launch today. There was a 40% chance of rain in the forecast.
Driving out of Orlando the cloud cover was low and thick.
I was told my Big Girtha model (lost two months back) had been found and was in the TTRA equipment trailer.
When I arrived at the Plant City field, the clouds had cleared and a 5 - 10 mph wind was blowing.
Plenty of Scouts were there and I knew the LPR pads would be full. The new flyers had great Scoutmasters who kept everyone in line until their turn was up.



First up was the Quest X-30 AEROSPACE PLANE with a Estes C6-3 engine.
(This is the same model being built on this blog.)
Wile the inset picture shows it going up at an angle, it was a vertical flight with little rotation, very stable.
I rigged the model so it would land horizontally. The single shroud line held at the rear and it recovered flat. Only one of the the two parachutes opened fully with no damage on recovery.


Lawrence Brown had his own version of the Ballistic Chicken.
He used the entire plastic Easter candy dispenser to top his model.
The "Cluck You!" model flew very well, better than a chicken.







I haven't flown my MPC style NIKE SMOKE in a while.
Flight was stable with an Estes C6-5.
Perfect flight and no damage under a 12" garbage bag parachute.

Dave Anderson hadn't built or flown a rocket since he was 13 years old! Today he made a BIG return to the hobby.

After his first flight of a Big Betty with a C6 engine, he flew this beautiful Semroc Cherokee D with a D12-5.

Finishing the day the Mercury Engineering Hijacker with a composite G!


My also flowns:
Estes 260 BOOSTER with a Estes B6-4. Textbook flight  to an estimated 375'. No broken clear fins this time!
Quest AEROSPACE ONE with an Estes D12-5. Best flight of the day for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment