Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Discontinued Quest Kits?

On TRF there were questions about the thrust and ejections of Quest engines.
This last year, Quest discontinued some larger 18mm kits:














Quest Aerospace One and the Stiletto

A guess on my part:
I have to wonder if many of the larger Quest kits were removed from the product line because the Chinese made C6 engines couldn't keep them in the air until ejection?
On the other hand, it could have simply been slow sales.
These two Shrox designs are larger (35mm diameter and about 24" tall) and were featured in the 2010 catalog when the remaining 18mm German made engines were still sold.
The large MLAS is still for sale but the only recommended engine is the Quest B6-2! The thrust of a Quest B6 engine isn't a problem. I have to wonder if the Quest C6 has enough oomph!

In the right model, the Chinese made Quest engines are great!
Here's my TRF post:
I don't recommend Quest C engines in any high drag or larger heavy models.
But I do use some Quest A6-4 and B6-4 engines in shorter or minimum diameter models.

In a Alpha style model (smaller diameter and not too tall) the A6-4 is sometimes better than an Estes A8-3.
The China made Quest B6-4 is great in the old Estes Mini Shuttle or a BT-60 based Cherokee Goon.
Both are short models with less area to pressurize at ejection. 
These two have centering rings to isolate a hot engine casing from paint or glue fillets.

You can pick out the louder Quest engines at a club launch without knowing if it was Estes or Quest.
For some small field variety I just bought 24 more Quest A6-4s.

2 comments:

  1. I have several kits that fly fine on Estes C6's but are questionable or unstable on the newer Quest C6's. The MLAS is one of them. However, for the models' that'll take them, I like the Quest C's. They also will get hot enough to melt the plastic motor mounts on the Estes RTF's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dick,
    I agree, for certain models the Quest engines are fine. I fly them in minimum diameter and shorter models so there isn't much area to pressurize at ejection.

    ReplyDelete