Saturday, November 9, 2013

Clay Weight in Rocket Kits?

KevinJ responded to a question on YORF about the clay nose cone weight supplied in Estes kits: 
"There were two sizes. The butter pats like PJ said are around 1/4 of an ounce (6g). Estes also used cubes of clay in some kits, and those are around 1/2 an ounce (12g)."

This seems to be correct.
The clay "butter pat" shown here is from an Estes kit and weighs in at .26 oz.
The supplied clay weight in the recent Fliskits TarTar kit was 1/2 oz.
I understand the pre-installed weight in most of the Dr. Zooch kits is 1/2 oz.

For sport kit production it makes sense for the kit vendors to include consistent clay weights in their kits.

4 comments:

  1. Once again, the metric system prevails in accuracy and simplicity here. It's much easier to weigh in grams (1 oz.=28 g), So 1/4 oz.=7 g, 1/2 oz.=14 g., etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I'm old school and still work in inches and ounces. I'll switch over one day. Thanks for the conversions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking for a good scale. Do you recommend the one you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eero,
    Something like this would work fine:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html
    I bought my digital scale at Harbor Freight for $8.00.
    I can switch between ounces and grams.
    It looks like they no longer carry the one I got.
    Accurate and steady.

    ReplyDelete