Friday, August 3, 2018

Upgrading Estes "Starter" Igniters, Part 1 TIP

I noticed a delay and an occasional misfire using the newer Estes "Starter" Igniters. My schoolyard launch controller is a typical 6 volt Estes system. Ignition was slower, almost like using bare nichrome wire when I started launching rockets in 1969. Press the launch button and hold it down until ignition of the engine.

I had tried using an available dip kit but became frustrated when the mixture continually dried out. Sure you can add acetone and stir (very messy), I wanted a simpler solution.

I wrote a short article for the NAR Sport Rocketry magazine and was surprised when it was published in the 2017 September/October issue. This post explains what was in that article.
Please note: Read these precautions from the Goex website before proceeding: CLICK HERE
I have not used this technique in engine clustering. I cannot guarantee this method will work with clusters.


I'm fortunate to have a black powder gun supply store here in Orlando.
I bought some Goex FFFF (4F) gun powder. The 4F is finer and faster burning.

The Beacon Fabri-tac glue is used to bond the powder grains to the clear igniter tip.





Shake a small amount of the black powder into the bottle cap.
It doesn't take much. Be careful, the black powder grains can and will go everywhere.






Squeeze a small amount of the Beacon glue onto the clear "Starter" tip. Go light, it doesn't take much glue.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris,
    Cool technique. I notice you've got a little yin and yang going on in the bottle cap in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed!
      The "Yin-yang" wasn't planned but it works for me! Great to meet and catch up with you at NARAM.

      Delete