Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Custom PONG Build Part 5, BT-50 Assembly Glue

I didn't mark the lines from the instruction sheet template. The template seemed small and hard to align the tube for marking. I'll mark it later.

Looking ahead, there are four dowels that fit between the the two BT-50 tube assemblies.
The two supplied dowels are cut in two making four 3" dowels.
The lower assembly was glued 1/4" from the bottom of the internal BT-5 tube.
I glued the upper BT-50 assembly just inside the 3" spacing. This way I can sand the 3" dowels for a friction fit. A 6" dowel cut in two might come up short of the space between the two BT-50 sections.

I won't be friction fitting an engine inside the thin BT-5 tube. There has been too many crimped tubes over the years.
Instead, for retention, the engine will get a wrap of tape over the 1/4" of BT-5 extending out the back.
That tape could pull off a layer of the tube wrap. I applied a coat of CA glue using a Q-tip to protect it.
The BT-50 assemblies are glued in place.
A piece of paper was rolled and set into the back to keep the primer out of the engine tube.

Note: I haven't glued in the engine block in yet. This model uses a tri-fold shock cord mount. In a BT-5 it's a tight fit. I'll use Kevlar tied to the engine block.

No comments:

Post a Comment