Thursday, December 26, 2013

Gyroc Part 7 Post Corrections!

There was reasons I had trouble with the Gyroc flaps!
My Gyroc flaps needed trimming to clear the body tube when flipped.

I'm the type that follows instructions.
Didn't G. Harry Stine say: "When all else fails, try following the instructions!"
I had built a Gyroc years ago, maybe I thought I was past following the directions.

I try to keep up on the comments from blog readers and respond to questions.
"Anonymous" made comments on the Gyroc, Part 7 post from December 23 -
He was right in his observations. This one deserved answers and a blog post.
"Anonymous'" comments are in Italic

Actually, instructions call it "fin-flap" assembly, not "flip-flap".
You are right! That's what a tired dyslexic gets for trying to read directions at 2 a.m.!


"Noticed that you matched up the flap root edge with the fin and left that portion of the edge square. If I'm not mistaken, there was supposed to be a slight gap between the flap root edge and the body tube (if you take the parts templates from the pattern sheet and lay them out, you'll find out that the flap is slightly shorter than the fin. Also the instructions show the root edge of the flap portion to be rounded rather than left square). Although having the flap root edge seating tightly against the body tube might give a cleaner appearance, you'll probably run the risk of the flap binding against the body tube - especially after primer and paint."

That's what happened!
Putting the two pattern sides together I saw the slight gap at the root edge. If I didn't sand the root and outside edges even with each other, the fin flaps would have worked without trimming later on.


This didn't help much!

I cut the the pattern with the outside edge of the flap (on left) a hair wide. 
When I stacked the two fin pieces I gang sanded them to match up the root and outside edges.
Step 5 illustration shows the upper fin half slightly wider than the lower half. It's subtle, but it is there. I didn't notice it. 

"As far as the positioning of the fin-flap assembly -- I'd interpreted the general layout illustration to indicate that the hold-down tabs should be attached to the flap near the "corner" at the root edge of the flap (where it flares out), and that the forward edge of these hold-down tabs would need to be set back far enough to clear the rear edge of the body tube, but not so far back that the hold-down tabs would protrude below the rear edge of the engine when it is inserted. This pretty much ends up determining the location of the fin-flap assemblies."

That's where they ended up. I wish the instructions went into more detail. The drawings were smaller and confusing. You'd think I would know how to do this by now!

Anonymous - thanks for the comments, I appreciate the feedback. 
Let me know if anything I write raises questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment