Monday, December 23, 2013

Launch - Schoolyard, December 22, 2013

Here's my typical set-up on the soccer field. 
Range box on the wet grass, rockets on top of the box shelves.


The MMX Downscale SKY WRITER is always a good "first up" to test the system and check for any upper winds.
I know the batteries are good if you can launch a MMX engine with the bare nichrome igniter. It always takes 2 or 3 seconds holding down the launch button. Altitude is usually about 125 feet.
I lost sight of this one but watched the horizon for movement and the streamer. I did see it before it hit the ground.
This one is really banged up, bent and now retired. I'll have to build another.




The GYROC clone had it's second flight, this time on an Estes A8-3.
It was turning during boost, the engine ejected with a loud pop and the panels flipped.
After a very fast spin it landed without damage on the basketball court.
The CA coat helped prevent damage to the blunt nose cone.
This one might be considered the wasted engine of the day.
An Estes B6-2 boosted my old Quest HL-20 with a wide spiral to maybe 200' up. A shotgun ejection popped the engine with streamer attached.

The HL-20 returned with a steep 5 to 1 glide ratio.
It did fall diagonally, the nose dipped and turned up, dipped and turned up. Not a stall but a tight wobble.

When picked up I realized why, the small nose cone was blown off the front of the shroud! It was found close by. The engine and streamer weren't found, I was too busy watching the "glider".
The HL-20 is now retired.

I don't think I've ever launched the RED MAX at the schoolyard.
This was my first build when I got back into rocketry. Originally painted orange with the wrong nose cone, it went through a rebuild with red paint.

Great for this small field, the B6-4 got it to an estimated 325'.
The sticky 35 year old Centuri parachute didn't open until it had descended half way down.
Winds were just starting to pick up at 7:45 a.m. but I was on a roll.
I had just repaired the Semroc ASTRON nose cone and added more shock cord.
The Estes A8-3 peaked out at an estimated 300'.
At ejection it did drift towards the playground.
The parachute draped over the fence with the fins just touching the ground.

Also flown:
Quest ORANGE (1" Stretch Cobalt) with a Quest A6-4. I've mentioned before how loud the Quest engines are, it actually echoed in the soccer field. Estimated altitude 300'.
The parachute easily pulled out of the hollow nose cone shoulder for a flawless recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment