Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Better Primer? Nope!

I had been using Duplicolor Filler-Primer with good results.
After my last can ran out, I went cheaper and bought some Rustoleum Gray Automobile Primer. Others on the forums have mentioned using it.
It's not the same!
The Rustoleum Primer looks the same after it dries. But the spray feels rubbery.
Sanding is harder and takes much longer. This stuff doesn't come off as a "dust" when sanding. It loads up the sand paper quicker.
The can says "Wet Sandable" but I wouldn't wet sand a first coat on a kraft paper (cardboard) tube.


It shot out rough like cottage cheese.
I've had other cans of Gloss White Rusto 2X do this on occasion. I still use the Rusto 2X for color coats.



Here's the stuff you want - 
Duplicolor Primer - Filler, High Build Formula.
You can find it at auto supply stores.

If you tried these two primers side by side you would probably prefer the Duplicolor.
It's worth the extra few dollars for the time saved sanding and sandpaper.

EDIT: The can graphics have just changed. It's now called:
Duplicolor Automotive PRIMER Series - FILLER -
The catalog number is still the same - FP101 Grey Filler

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! I've had FAR better results with the Duplicolor primers than any others.

    ReplyDelete