Sunday, January 20, 2019

OR Spaced Needle Build, Part 7, Fins and Launch Lug

Check out the grain direction near the rear of the root edge. (This fin is upside down) These corners can easily break off down the grain line.

TIP: Notice the direction of the blade cut. In the left side picture I would be cutting away from the root edge.
On the right side I would also cut away and down from the corner.


This picture is from the first build, with the two tubes glued together.

On the left is the fill of the tube butt joint and seams with CWF filler.
I had to go back and fill some areas where the CWF was knocked out of the seams. As I'm sanding I mark the areas to be re-filled with pencil.




The fins were glued on.
This shows the Titebond No-Run, No-Drip (Trim and Molding Glue) fillets right after they were applied and smoothed out.


With a B6-6 engine inserted (probably the largest engine I would ever use in the model) I found the balance point for the launch lug location.

The balance point of the model was marked with pencil. The center of the lug was also marked for positioning when glued.



TIP: Before the lug was glued on the rocket I rounded out and cleaned up the edge of the lug with a sharpened dowel.
I leave the sharpened dowel a bit rough and simply turn it in the lug ends. This rolls down any burrs for a smooth slide up the launch rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment