Monday, April 12, 2021

Shroud Line Bends? TIP

You might be wondering why I'm doing some generic build ideas and tips, not focusing on a specific build. I'm waiting for Estes to release the Antar, scheduled for this month. I've build four of them (yep, FOUR!) and have plenty of build steps ready to be published. 
The Antar build will also have some templates and a masking guide available to Patreon members. (Trust me, you'll have a easier build using the decal dot placement and masking guides.)

If you are building an older kit, sometimes the parachute shroud lines can have kinks after being stored for a few years.

If not straightened out, these bends will still be there after the parachute is assembled.



Try the Synthetic setting first and test on a line - DRY, no steam. Increase the heat if the lines don't straighten out. 

Pull the shroud lines under the tip of the iron. Go quickly on the first line to be sure it isn't melted or singed.




Older shroud lines usually have a higher cotton content (More heat). Some newer lines are synthetic (use less heat).

Here's the same shroud lines after using the iron. 
All are straight and ready to be tied onto the chute.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the ANTAR build! I check the AC Supply site at least once a day to see if it’s available. The general building tips have been useful - thanks for those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am looking forward to the Antar build. I cringe at my kit inventory level (over 175), and have avoided purchasing most of the new kits released in the past year or so, but this one is really tempting. (I need to quit scratch-building I guess!)

    ReplyDelete