Thursday, April 1, 2021

TLP Hawk Build, Part 6, Tail Cone Joint Fill & Fins




Here's the tail cone glued in place at the bottom of the longer tube.





I did a "dip and drag" with CWF filler on my knife blade tip the same way I fill a body tube seam.

Dip the tip about 1/4" into the filler, wipe off the back side of the blade. With filler on both sides of the blade it's almost too much to control. Set the blade into the seam and drag the blade back and forth which directs some of the filler into the crack.


The fin template was just a hair larger than the supplied balsa!







I had to glue a small piece of balsa to the edge of the sheet to make it just wide enough.




These are probably the largest fins I've ever cut out!

6 comments:

  1. Wow Chris, those fins are huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Astron 100,
      It'll need a good sized parachute - (not included in the kit) Those fins will be the first thing to break off on a hard landing.

      Delete
  2. Hawk fins are definitely huge. I'm looking at a really big down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      I also have the ASP MMX Hawk kit in the build pile if I ever want to go small.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got the wood in the kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Yeah, I did get the sheet balsa for the fin, but you'd think it would be wide enough to cut them out.

      Delete