The Estes Aries SST kit had a short run, from 1984 - 1985. It was described as a "futuristic transport".
It used the PNC-50S nose cone with the Sandpiper "finlets". I have a second nose cone 3D printed by Augendoc. I'll put it to use on the only other kit to use it.
The model is BT-50 based, the length is 13.5 inches tall.
Another spare parts drawer build, other than the 3D printed nose cone.
Note: Nose Cone is same as BNC-50Y with added finlets.
1 Engine Tube BT-20J 2.75" 30326
1 Engine Hook EH-2 35025
2 Centering Rings AR-2050 30164
1 Marking Guide 83702
1 Body Tube BT-50H 7.75" 30360
1 Shock Cord SC-1 1/8" x 21" 85730
1 Balsa Stock BF-1927 3" x 12" x 3/32" 32627
1 Pattern Sheet SP-1927 2.7" x 8.5" card 83703
1 Launch Lug LL-2B 2 3/8" Length 38178
1 Plastic Nose Cone PNC-50S 4 3/8" Length 72045
1 Parachute PK-12A 12" 85564
1 Shroud Line SLT-72 72" 38237
6 Tape Disks TD-3F 1/2" 38406
1 Decal KD-1927 Red/Blk 37242
I added a engine block, Kevlar line and heat shrink tube, not included in the original kit.
Not shown: Decals and pattern sheet. Those are still being drawn up.


I've got one of the 80's kits, built.... but it's pretty worn at this point. I need to salvage the nose cone, toss the rest, and rebuild it fresh. Better than it was.... faster.... stronger!
ReplyDeleteHi Rob,
DeleteI would assume Estes quit production on this nose cone because of stability issues. The Sandpiper has added nose weight and the Aries SST fins are pretty large.