Sunday, May 20, 2012

Carded Satellite Interceptor Build Part 1 Parts

I haven't made a carded rocket in a while. I started this one while I was entertaining on a cruise ship.
This is Bob Harrington's carded downscale of the Estes Satellite Interceptor.


You can print these on 65 lb. or 110 lb. cardstock.
I prefer the 110 lb. cardstock


In addition to the two printed pages, you need some cereal box cardboard for the center layer of the laminated fins.

For better glue adhesion, lightly sand to rough up the printed side of the cardboard.
The cereal box "flats" were initially cut out with scissors.
I go back with a straightedge and square up the sides.

We'll concentrate on the laminated fins first.

2 comments:

  1. Recently found these card stock plans and trying it out, this was one of my favorite kits back in the day, looking forward to making a mini-clone with this pattern. It seems that the PDFs for page 1 and page 2 are different scales: the page 1 body tube is a little too wide for a 13mm engine, it would require lots of tape around the engine, and the page 2 nose cone tube extension is more like an 18mm engine size tube when printed in default scale on 65-lb card stock. I am using the mis-scaled prints for practice, but will try to reprint them to match. Maybe the PDFs are printing in different scales depending on computer platform/software/etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glen,
      It's been so long ago, I do remember the front end prints were larger diameter than the back end. I don't remember the reasons why.
      I know I had to cut and peel some of the red to get it to match up.
      That's the trouble with different formats and extensions. If you can scale up and down for your printer you could find the right size, but usually loose some paper in the process.
      On all of my carded downscale plans I included a 1" reference square so you could check the print size.

      Delete