Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Citation Patriot, #000652 Build, Background


The original Estes Patriot was part of the Citation line of rocket kits from Estes.
These models were packaged to reach a larger audience, aimed at department stores where boxed kits would stack on a store shelf.
MPC sold their rockets in a box, much like their plastic model kits. Centuri also produced boxed kits with the short-lived Stellar line.

The other Citation rockets introduced the Red Max, the pop-pod gliding Bomarc, Starship Vega and chromed Quasar. There was also a chromed Porta Pad starter set.
The engine designations were simplified, An A8-3 was renamed an A-3, the B6-4 was called a B-4.
On the engine selection chart, the A-3 engine was "Generally Equivalent To" an A7-3, obviously a misprint.
The Citation Line was the first to use the infamous PNC-60AH nose cone. (That's the big nose cone used in the Red Max.)

The Citation line was the Cadillac of Estes kits in 1971. Lots of decals, gold decals and chromed parts. The Patriot was a Big Bertha sized model, a basic 3FNC rocket with BIG, gaudy decals.

I'm glad Estes brought this one back. In 1971 I visited Estes and took the tour. The Citation Line had just been released. I bought a Citation Patriot and Bomarc at the factory store. I remember thinking: "Rocket kits in boxes, how cool!".

To see the Estes Citation catalog: CLICK HERE

7 comments:

  1. Big, loud and proud. The Evel Knievel of rockets. The Patriot and the shiny Quasar are still my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      I was going to bring up your Evel Knievel reference when the decals go on!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry. Did I ruin it?

      Delete
  2. I drooled over that catalog with eyes wide open!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got one and am going to build along with this one. I'm afraid of making a mess out of the decals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      The decals are thin! Be sure to wet the surface before setting down the decals. That gives you a little less grab, the water underneath lets you slide and re-position.

      Delete