Saturday, March 23, 2019

Custom SLV Build #10044, Part 8, Fin & Launch Lug Gluing

The instructions say to glue on the dowels centered over the tube joint. They are painted black afterwards with a small brush.
The dowels would be hard to paint black after gluing in place.

I set them down on a strip of masking tape and hit them with a coat of filler/primer. The backs won't get any paint so they can be glued to the tube later.
After sanding the dowels were stuck down again and sprayed gloss black.



The six small fins were glued onto the lower BT-60, even with the end of the tube.

After three were glued on, the remaining three fins were glued between those.



I probably should have scraped off the launch lug locations before the fins were glued on. I was able to scrape the filler/primer for a glue line but had to be careful between the fins.






The builder has to assemble the 12" parachute.
The tape disks and shroud lines are adhered the old school way, a simple loop of the shroud line and a tape disk.

I wanted a stronger attachment. The disk was pressed in place, a hole punched and the shroud line tied on.

2 comments:

  1. I find tying on thread shroud lines to be so fiddly, I get pretty frustrated rather quickly. And I'm not sure if I should be using a different knot.

    I always tie a bowline, because it's the first knot I learned, and I know it'll make a loop that won't move. But it's tricky for me to tie a little bowline. What kind of knot do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel, I use a simple square knot. It really helps to use long tweezers, mine is probably 6 or 7" long. I picked them up at Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-fine-point-tweezer-set-93598.html

      Delete