Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Fin Glue Rivets? TIP

Here's one way we used to reinforce the fin root edge joints - FIN GLUE RIVETS!
This illustration is from the 1977 FSI catalog.

Punch holes down the fin position pencil line with a needle. When glue is applied it should press into the pin holes and make an effective glue rivet!
I don't think I would use glue rivets on a minimum diameter model. (BT-20 with an 18mm engine or a BT-50 with a 24mm engine.)

Glue Rivets could be considered the predecessor of thru-the-wall (TTW) fin mounting, certainly stronger than surface mounted fins. I would rarely use them unless (in certain circumstances) I really wanted a stronger bond.

I'm currently building another Estes Mercury Redstone.
Those tip plates glued onto the outside of the fins have some laser cut dashes down the middle. I hadn't thought of these in years and realized here's a modern take on the old glue rivets!

The outside fin rudder could break off on a hard landing. Chances are, the card stock plate would probably split down the middle into two pieces. An easy fix.
For the first time in years - I made some glue rivets on the root edge of the fin rudders. The rivets might make this end glued joint stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment