Monday, May 17, 2021

LASER Club Launch May 16, 2021

Winds were about 12 mph and the heat wasn't unbearable - yet! Wait until next month. 
Will there be another launch next month? By the end of the day we were informed that this would be the last club launch at this field. The new owners want to develop and plant the field. It was fun while it lasted!

It was a first launch for my Jim Flis designed SPACE RAIDER with the recommended B6-4. I would expect it to use a B6-2 but the four second delay was fine. Altitude was an estimated 275'.
The pyramid was very stable. A small 8" chute  ejected to bring it home without damage. The instructions suggest a streamer but the small chute seemed a better choice.
This build will be featured on the blog with some additional PDFs for Patreon members. 



We had some new flyers today, turn out was good!






With todays wind I kept to A and B engines. I'm at the age where I don't have to reach a thousand feet or walk hundreds of yards to pick up a rocket.

The Estes GALACTIC TAXI got to 225' with an Estes A8-3.
At ejection the nose cone got a dent and a forward toothpick gun was broken off. Still a good launch and recovery.



Here's the picture of the day 
That's Aleena getting a cheek lick from Beau the rocket dog. 

I like dogs - if they don't bark at every launch. Beau was a very well behaved poodle/cocker mix.






David H. and Mike H. launching a beautifully finished Centuri/Estes Hornet.









Ted flew his Estes Illusion with an A8-3.







Here's my Centuri ARGUS clone with a Estes B6-4. 
I should have went with a C6-5 but was concerned with the wind gusts.
This was a gentle "loft" flight only reaching 225'. A sturdy rocket that should last forever.






Lonnie Buchanon brought out his new Saturn 1B MO2. 
This was a fantasy build - What may have happened with the Saturn 1Bs if early design variants were ever followed through.

A BT-80 based scratch build, highly detailed and very stable.



Last in the air for me was my second BAR  build from 2006, A RED MAX clone before the Estes reissued kit.
You can tell by the gray smoke it's a Q-Jet B4-4. Textbook launch and recovery.

Also flown:
ASP Micro Maxx HAWK using a MMX engine to 65 feet. Streamer recovery.
Centuri VECTOR V clone with an Quest Chinese A6-4. 250' altitude estimate.

A great day until we found out the field would be closed for club launches. I'm sure area searches has already been started.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad about your field! Of all the obstacles that hobby rocketry faces this is going to be the biggest one in the future. I usually launch with my club or our sister club - which are both Tripoli affiliated but I need to do a launch with one of the NAR clubs. I’m enjoying my journey to HPR and we always (eventually) get the LPR rack up and running but a launch focused on LPR model rockets looks like a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what do you call a poodle/cocker mix? Maybe a cocker-doodle? And if it takes a dump on the launch field it would be a cocker-doodle poo. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug,
      I have enough problems not laughing at the breed name Shih Tzu.

      Delete