Friday, April 5, 2024

Estes Mini Bertha Clone, #TK-3, Part 1, Parts


All the parts came from the spare parts drawer. I was lucky this time and didn't have to order a balsa nose cone.
That nose cone is a BNC-20L, 1.4" exposed.
The parachute will be an Odd'l chute, trimmed way down to 8" diameter.
The BT-20B main airframe tube is 8.65" long.
The motor mount tube is a BT-5T at 1 1/2" long. More on that later - 
The LL-2A launch lug is 1.25" long.
I'll be adding a Kevlar shock cord line, a BT-20 tube is too tight using a tri fold mount.
This is one of the few kits that uses 1/16" thick balsa.

I found some nose cone weight washers on a trip to Home Depot. I don't know if these are the same weight as the kit part. I just needed them to fit inside the BT-20 tube diameter.

2 comments:

  1. One thing that could be confusing about washers is that the size indicates the size of the bolt that the washer will fit. As for the outer diameter -- it seems to depend on the standard to which the washers were made. Found something online that could be useful (since it shows the dimensions of the washers depending on if they are SAE or USS standard):
    https://www.engineering.com/story/washer-size-chart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Naoto,
      I didn't do any research on the washer diameters, I took a piece of BT-20 with me to the hardware store to check the fit.

      Delete