Thursday, April 25, 2024

New Estes Arcas Kit Fin Shaping?

On TRF, Solar Yellow posted something directed to me:
"I'm expecting a build. Likely with diamond-profiled fins because that is the cooler way to do it if you have the skillz."

My response:
I'll do a blog build if Estes sends me some kits.
If I'm working for a vendor, I build them as directed by the instructions.
In some extra blog build posts, I would cut out some additional fins and show how the diamond taper can be done.
That depends though - if the kit fins are only 1/16" thick, the diamond taper isn't practical.

Neil W added probably the best solution of all


"I was thinking that too."

"I think you could fool the casual observer by shading the bottom half of the fins slightly darker (could be accomplished with a very light grey transparent decal)."

2 comments:

  1. SolarYellow had another good approach... paint the bottom half of the fins some shade of grey before applying the red top coat. Might require some experimentation to dial in the right shade. Personally I prefer to work with decals than add extra paint steps, but some folks feel the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrm... Hadn't thought of using shading on a model rocket (to give the impression of contouring). It's a technique often used on scale models, and especially with figures and figurines.

    ReplyDelete