Friday, July 12, 2024

Razor Saw Quick Tip



I was cutting some dowels and my old X-Acto saw was dragging.
I probably could have used some oil, but that could leave a trace of oil on a surface that would be painted later on.

I remembered using wax paper on out backyard metal slide. Simply rubbing the wax paper on the slide made it very slippery. Almost too quick!

I tore off a piece of wax paper and rubbed it over the sides of the blade. It worked! 
The cutting was smooth and much quicker than before.

6 comments:

  1. A bit of Behlen’s Blue Label paste wax or similar will also work well. It won’t stain your cut material or interfere with paint adhesion. Prevents rust, too. I admit the wax paper will do the same thing for cheaper, unless you already have some paste wax lying around. Great tip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I don't have and Blue Label wax, the wax paper was just handy.

      Delete
  2. Good Tips guys! Also, a beeswax stick, which is also great for getting older wooden drawers to slide properly, will work more than likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JHall,
      I didn't think of beeswax. That I do have in my bagpipe supplies.

      Delete
  3. How does this not transfer wax residue to whatever is being cut? That will surely interfere with any finish applied, much the same as paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Solar Yellow,
      There may have been some wax transfer. Sanding the rough cut smooth would remove any wax that may have been left.

      Delete