Friday, April 8, 2011

Starlight Jayhawk Build Part 20 Orange Masking


Sorry this shot is so out of focus!

This is the white mask for the orange to follow.

Clear Scotch tape went down first along the large wing/fin root edges. Masking tape went over that.

All the edges were burnished with a sharpened dowel.


All of the wing/fin areas were sprayed orange.

I let everything dry hanging over the edge of my table in the patio.
When I came out to pick it up it was on the ground!

It was caught in the wind and the dowel in the engine mount rolled it right off the table. I'll use more weight on the dowel next time.


I won't go into too much detail about this new fix except to say it was filled and sanded as best I could this far into the finishing.

TIP: Here's one way to remove your mask.
I'm pulling it away from the line and the tape is almost folded over on itself. Depending on how dry the paint is, this prevents pullling and tearing of the color separation line.

1 comment:

  1. I just did this part and used black marker. A bit of black ink transferred over... I like the orange marker and I have orange... I think I'll put some tape on wax paper or old yellow ( waxy side) decal covers and mark it today. Then the ink should be dry by the next time I mask.

    ReplyDelete