Saturday, September 12, 2015

What the heck?


Well, it's done! It's a Beer Can Pan Flute.
I'm just doing my part to recycle.
Remember Zamfir playing the Pan Flute on the infomercials?
I could be Zam-Beer playing the Can Flute. (Sorry, too easy!)

The eight beer cans make up a Do-Re-Mi diatonic scale.
All are tuned with different levels of water.
These aluminum beer bottles strong, thicker walled than a regular beer can. You can't crush them with your hand. They are easy to ship and light without water in them.

The top picture is the audience view.
I needed the laser cut shelf to raise the upper four notes. Otherwise, my chin would be in the way when blowing into the upper cans.
From left to right on the low level is the Do-Re-Mi-Fa.
Left to right on the upper, higher level is So-La-Ti-Do.

The placement of the can colors was important. I could have went with all blue, but the red cans add interest. The blue cans have twist off caps, the red are pry off caps.
With the just Velcro attachments, it was a little wobbly. 
Why duct tape and rubber bands? More support and it's supposed to look tacky.

I'll start the routine with a serious "From A Distance" with a LOT of reverb, like those Andes Pan Flute recordings. After I establish that you can actually get music out of it, the "Beer Barrel Polka" will kick in for an uptempo, appropriate finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment