Sunday, February 4, 2018

Launch! Orlando R.O.C.K., February 3, 2018


We had a good turnout, racks were full for most of the day. Check the launch rods, there was some wind. After a few of the first round landed in the trees, rod angles were set into the wind.



My GYROC clone was first with an Estes A8-3 to about 225'. There was a tight spiral during boost, I thought at first that one of the panels had flipped.
At ejection it went into a tight spin and a slowed descent. This is the same model where I recently modified it to allow the elastic to be replaced.





Jim Lytle had hoped to launch his new Star Wars inspired BB-8 model but the winds were too strong. Maybe he'll try again at next weeks NEFAR launch.
The BB-8 was built using plans from a recent issue of Sport Rocketry magazine. Here the model is on a stand, the long stabilizing dowels are slid in for launch.





With the wind I knew this would be a A and B engine day with streamers or reefed chutes.

My Estes CURVILINEAR was modified for 18mm engines. Today it got an A8-3 engine with apogee at around 175'. The chute was taped closed so it couldn't drift far.




Manuel Mejia built his Goony Saturn 1B from spare parts and a Pringle's can. He claimed it only cost $1.25 in materials! The Redstone booster cluster was made up from old CMR tubing. Two very stable flights with C11 engines.



For the 60th Explorer 1 anniversary I launched the Dr. Zooch EXPLORER 1 / JUPITER C model. An A8-3 didn't get it very high, maybe 175'. Low and slow -
The FLYING PORTA PAD used the only C engine today for me, a C6-3.
There was a fairly fast spin going up to an estimated 100' with a slow rotation coming down.

An old favorite, the FRANKEN GOBLIN had its 14th launch, today with an Estes B6-4 to 350'. Another chute was taped closed to bring it in close.

When I first arrived I thought I wouldn't be doing much flying because of the winds. After the rods were angled some fliers loaded larger engines.
I still played it safe, this time with a B6-4 in a new, clean Estes PHOTON PROBE. I would guess the altitude to be around 325' with no damage at recovery.

Wind, cool temps, low humidity made for an rewarding day. Six up, six recovered with no damage.

6 comments:

  1. Even with the wind it was a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lonnie,
      I was worried at first, thought I'd only get two in the air - it all worked out once the rods angles were moved.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised by how well the Goony Saturn-1b performed. I managed to get 3 flights from it with no issues. It is very easy to reprep for flight. Thanks for the Explorer 1 Launch. I had forgotten to bring mine. It is hard to believe it was just 60 years ago. My wife said thanks for the photo and caption ! She enjoyed seeing the image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ed,
      Hopefully I'll launch some bigger engines this Saturday at the NEFAR launch in Bunnell, FL.

      Delete