Sunday, February 18, 2018

Space X Tube Wrap?


Brian McCormack posted this picture on the Facebook Model Rocket Fanatics page:

"Got my SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket kit today.
Not to thrilled with the lumpy body tube wrap but it’s better than trying to paint it!"

Geez! That's crap!
When the kit first came out it was up to the builder to apply the large peel and stick wrap. It was thin and nearly impossible to get right. 
After Space X got complaints they decided to place the wrap for you. 
In my book this lumpy wrap is unacceptable. 

4 comments:

  1. I wish they would of left it up to the customer to install. That looks horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Moontana,
    Like I mentioned, when the kit was first released the wrap was put on by the builder. The wrap was very thin and the adhesive grabbed fast and strong.
    I was building one for a client and had to refund him the price he paid for the kit!
    Some of the other parts were dicey, I wouldn't recommend the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it would be possible to request the wrap be left off but still included in the kit? I would accept my own mistake better than the mistake of a commercial vendor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lester,
      Maybe they could do this, worth a phone call. I had a hard time getting the wrap on myself. It is very long running the entire length of the body tube and hard to get on straight. I could almost guarantee these pre-installed wraps are not being put on by a craftsman, just hired help putting pieces into a box.

      Delete