Friday, February 23, 2018

Old Enerjet Engine


I only have two original Enerjet engines, both are E24-7s meant for my Enerjet Nike Smoke.
This one has a hand written number on it, "477". You'd think that might mean April of 1977, but the Enerjet product line only lasted a few years. 
To see the 1972 Enerjet catalog: CLICK HERE


The casing looks to be fiberglass, the nozzle is graphite.
There is a bead of epoxy around the nozzle.

The upper end has an old style paper cap over the ejection charge.



Is it a coincidence that the new Quest Q-Jet labels are orange, black and white? 

One thing that hurt Enerjet sales was the price. Each E24 engine was $4.00 in 1972. That was way out of line for most hobbyists.
Let's hope that isn't a factor for the new Quest 18mm composite engines.

6 comments:

  1. I would pay the extra 20% just for the performance. When I launched a Quest MLAS on an 18mm D composite motor it left the pad like a bat out of hell. The members of my group were buzzing about it for a good five minutes. Didn't think it would fly like that on a high drag profile rocket. Now I fly 50% AP and 50% BP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      Price (even 20% more) could deter some buyers. I agree with you - I wouldn't launch a Quest MLAS with a Chinese made C6 engine. I would pay a little extra for a composite D to launch a rocket like that.

      Delete
  2. Orange, white & black are the new...orange, white & black :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee Lonnie, I should have thought of that one . . .

      Delete
  3. NEWSFLASH!!!!! Was just browsing at Sirius Rocketry: The Odd'l Rockets F-104 Starfighter is in stock!. Placed my order. Also check out the new products section. Lots of exciting stuff like the Dr Zooch Falcon Heavy kit, the new Aerotech F67 composite motors, etc.
    BTW Chris, are you at NARCON? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I sent out F-104 kits to NARCON with JonRocket (Roger and Bracha) and to Sirius at the same time. Apogee wants the kits but put the order in for them a few days late. That order will go out on Monday. No, I'm not at NARCON but hope to go to NARAM this Summer!

      Delete