Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Launch! Schoolyard Soccer Field, March 15, 2021

This was not the most successful launch day -

The tripod launcher was set up then the controller wires laid out.
Wait . . . Where's the interlock key? Where's the interlock key?
It wasn't tied on the end of the elastic retention cord. 
It must be in the bottom of the range box. I went through everything looking for it. I cleared out old parachutes and streamers, wadding and launch supplies - nothing.

I was walking back to the launcher to pack up and go home.
On the ground . . . I saw a familiar piece of yellow plastic. 
The key had somehow worked its way off the elastic and fell in the sand. I lucked out and tied it back on.

My neighbor Christina was out walking with her three boys. They yelled hello me from across the street. I motioned for them to come over to see some launches. The boys are young, excited and talkative!
I explained safety and how the rockets work in the simplest way possible. I asked them not to run if they wanted to pick up the rockets. I've had rockets stepped on before. Most importantly, be gentle and don't squeeze the rockets! 




The Estes TWIN FACTOR was the first up.
This is a perfect small field two stage model. Staging was good and vertical this time. The boys helped me retrieve the two stages.
I would guess the altitude at 150'. No damage at recovery.


Here's the final flight of the Peter Alway SATURN IV.
This is the same rocket that got hung up in a tree for a month! There was quite a bit of exposure and sun damage. 

Todays launch was with a Estes B6-4 to about 300'. The chute didn't open all the way. It landed a bit hard and broke off two weathered brittle fins. 
The model was retired, not worth fixing again. 

My best launch of the day was the new Estes AIRBORNE SURVEILLANCE MISSILE. 
According to the face card, altitude was near 375'. Christina's boys let out a few oohs and aahs.




Here's the 8" diameter parachute recovery.








I had some controller issues, ignition was slow.
The new ASP MMX JAYHAWK didn't fly. The old "silo style" Micro Maxx igniter was a no-go.
I tried to fly the Estes PHOTON PROBE with a Q-Jet B4-4. No joy! Time for some new controller batteries.
Christina asked if ignition problems were a regular thing with rockets. 
I said: "No, it only happens when others are watching." 

Five planned, only three in the air. I might set up the young boys with a starter set.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris, Some days are better than others. That's a really cool idea with the starter sets. Who knows where that could lead...future astronauts? Aerospace engineers? Great way to 'Pay forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing I always ask of kids who run to retrieve rockets for me - look for any broken off pieces lying around near the bird! Once a model is picked up and retrieved, it's virtually impossible to go back and find any parts that might have come off..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      I've been there, done that! It's usually when a model is detailed and a small piece is left behind. I also asked the kids not to run when picking up a rocket. I've had a few stepped on.
      Kids like to swing the models around in circles when running back to the launch site, with the nose cone going in and out of the parachute tangling the shroud lines.

      Delete