Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Models On Display?

I have a LOT of finished rockets in the rocket room. There's that old line: "When I die, my Wife is going to have a big Garage Sale!" I'm divorced. When I go, I can imagine the rockets going in the trash. My daughters don't have an interest in the hobby.
   

I've shopped at Colonial Photo & Hobby since I moved to the Orlando area in the early 1980s. It's one of the few remaining brick and mortar hobby shops in the area. They carry a good selection of Estes rockets and some accessories. At one time they had a broken up Estes Phoenix build on display.
I approached the owner and asked if he would be interested in some display models to go along with the balsa and tissue plane models hanging from the ceiling. He asked: "Are you a good builder?" I explained I've built show models for Estes and Quest/Aerotech. 
He followed: "How much would you ask for the models?" He liked my answer: "No charge!"

I've picked out ten un-flown models, big and small, new and classic designs for them to choose from. 
All I asked was that the models would be out of reach!
Next week I'll drive downtown and drop off some rockets.

On rare occasions I've given away a few finished models at club launches. "First time" kids are excited to get a rocket. With no experience handling a delicate tube and balsa model, they swing them around, toss them like javelins, dent tubes and break the fins. 
I once sold finished models on Ebay. You build a show quality model, carefully pack and cross your fingers only to get an email saying the model arrived damaged! 

Donating models to the store will hopefully raise interest in the hobby.
The ten models removed from the rocket room made a small dent in the inventory.

9 comments:

  1. I'll have to head down there in a few weeks and see what you donated to them. I used to just about live there when I was into photography, trains, and RC. Their rocket selection fluctuates from really good to ok, but it's great that they are there for budding rocketeers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ "Are you a good builder." At least he cares!

    Seriously though, this is a great way to offload a few models. If you can, please post a picture of the display when it's all put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I doubt it will be a display, the models will be hanging from the ceiling.

      Delete
  3. I bought one of those eBay models awhile back and it arrived in mint condition and it is still displayed in my rocket garden if you will never having been flown. I use it as a guide for what I can achieve as a builder. As for Colonial, I make it to Orlando quite frequently for one reason or another, I have 3 kids so that reason is pretty obvious, my other reason is I am in addition to being mentally unstable rocket guy I am also a mentally unstable home brewer and Orlando has some of the best breweries around and one day when out hunting for breweries I ran across this gem of a store. It brought back the memories of my childhood when stores like this were everywhere. It also brought back my memories of one of my first jobs working in a photo lab. Looking forward to my next visit when I can stop in and check out your displays Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sure looks like a very old former Publix building - 1950's or a bit earlier. Have one exactly like that here in Lakeland.

    Hope to see you soon
    AstronMike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      It is an older, converted Publix store. It could be from the late 1950s or early 1960s. It's interesting to use their restroom - like going back in time!

      Delete
    2. Mike,
      I found out today this old Publix Store building was built in 1947!

      Delete
  5. I know the ceiling covered in hanging models at my local hobby shop as a kid had a huge impact on me. I loved them so much. I wished they were closer, to see them better, but no way could it all fit anywhere---the shelves were spilling out onto the floors as it was.

    Don't underestimate what you're doing by putting models up there. Raising interest in the hobby is good, sure. But you could be helping to shape kids' whole lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe,
      I dropped off the models today! They'll probably put them up in the next week. I hope it inspires some interest.

      Delete