Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Estes Space Shuttle Columbia Build #1385, Part 3, Balsa Fix & Plastic Nose Cone Prep


I was very careful, used a sharp knife and still broke off the tip of one forward wing piece. Usually I glue the broken piece back on, but I couldn't find it.
I glued on a slightly larger piece of scrap balsa into the broken tip with wood glue. 





I let the glue thoroughly dry.
The tip was shaved down close to the correct shape but left slightly oversize.

The new tip was final shaped with sandpaper.

The plastic on the edges of the OMS pods was thick!

I first marked the outlines with a fine point Sharpie. Many passes with a new, sharp blade finally freed the two detail pieces.

The instructions simply say to sand the edges smooth.
You'll get a much better fit by sanding with some 220 grit wrapped around the body tube. Some "back and forth" passes over sandpaper will put a curve onto the edges.




Separating the nose cone from the back OMS piece was much easier. 
The narrow neck was scored and the piece broken in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment