Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Quest Tomahawk SLCM Build Part 12 Gluing the Fins

Sorry I missed the blog posts yesterday! I was in transit and am home now.
Things should be back on track for the time being.


The fins were glued onto the shroud.
I found myself gluing the fins upside down. Be sure you check the balsa grain direction and the illustrations to get it right.

One fin glues directly on the shroud seam. I sanded the seam down as much as possible for a smoother gluing surface.
I ended up using the thicker Titebond Molding and Trim Glue to fill the gap.
White glue fillets followed.


Here's the upper wings in place.
Do you see my mistake?
The grain on the forward fins DOES NOT run parallel to the leading edge!
I'll have to cut, remove and re-glue them.


The 2" long launch lug is glued to the side of a wing fin.
It is centered along the root edge.

TIP: Draw center ticks at the mid point of the lug and wing root edge.
This is a quicker way to center something rather than measuring the overhang on both sides.





I found this profile view of the real Tomahawk.
Look how long the wing fins are!

No comments:

Post a Comment