Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Quest Tomahawk SLCM Build Part 14 Air Scoop

From the kit bag, the air scoop was printed on thin cardstock. Too thin for me.
I scanned and reprinted it on 110 lb. cardstock.

Still, I felt it needed to be a bit thicker.
I always print off a couple of shrouds, this time I did print off a few air scoops.
From the extras, I cut out sides and top pieces, my cut lines were inside the indicated fold lines.
In the picture at the right you can see the pencil lines drawn to the sides of the dashed fold lines.
These cut pieces will be glued inside the scoop, centered between the fold lines.
With the reinforcement pieces to the sides of the fold lines, they won't interfere with the folds of the outside cardstock.



This is Brian Urban's Quest Tomahawk from the last Tampa TTRA launch. Brian is one of the better builders I've seen in a long time.
He ditched the cardstock and made his air scoop out of plastic. Check out the scoop curvature, it's closer to scale.





Here's the final shape of my stronger cardstock shroud.
I decided to turn the gluing tabs inside.
The outside curvature was made by rolling over the scoop with a dowel in the palm of my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment