Sunday, March 25, 2018

A Letter From Wes Oleszewski (Dr. Zooch)

Comment posted from Frank Claunch:
Did know if you have seen this yet

From ‎Wes Oleszewski‎ to National Association of Rocketry

To all of my friends and customers in the model rocket world... during 2018 Dr. Zooch Rockets will cease operations after having been in business for 14 amazing years. As of Friday, March 25 I have notified all of my retailers that I will no longer be taking orders and will be busy clearing the huge back-log of pending orders.

The reason for this is singular... it for my own personal health. As some of you may know I have suffered with three bad disks in my neck since December 2014. I was not then and am not now a good candidate for surgery, I have been going through pain management and physical therapy with good results... until I go back to the activity of filling boxes with rocket parts. Three times now that repetitive motion has aggravated my neck and caused the pain to return resulting in another spinal injection. Now I have a choice, either delete the repetitive motion, or go under the knife. My choice was to simply close the company.

Dr. Zooch has always made a profit- often very slim, but still remaining in the black. I have zero debt, because I always paid for everything I needed up front. So, it has been a great 14 year run and a lot of fun along the way. My thanks go out to the guys who gave me my start among them being Tim Van Milligan and Pat McCarthy both of whom went to Embry-Riddle with me and are charter members of the Avion mafia. One of the most key people all along has been Bill Saindon of Balsa Machining Service, whose custom parts and countless "rush" deliveries helped make my little company go. Thanks also the the MDRA, my home rocket club where nearly all Dr. Zooch flight tests took place.

Now, of course, what about me. No worries, the rocket company was a part-time gig anyhow. My 24th book will come out this April and my author's career is chugging right along- this'll probably be my second best-seller. Just visit Amazon and under "books" search my last name, "Oleszewski" I'm the only Oleszewski in that area- so most of my work pops up. I can also take time now to build and fly rockets just for fun again. Thanks to all of my Dr. Zooch customers- you are all super.
______________________________________________________________________
I'm very sorry to hear this.
Some of my favorite builds have been the Dr. Zooch kits. I finally got to meet Wes at the NARCON held here in Florida two years ago. I brought two of my Zooch builds, Wes had them on display at his booth.
If you haven't built on of his kits, I highly recommended them. His BT-60 Saturn V is a favorite. Thanks Wes, you did it right!

7 comments:

  1. I’m pretty well stocked up on Dr Z kits - picked up 3 more yesterday after I read his announcement. My lost to a rocket eating tree Crumman C3C was my first non-3/4FNC builder kit as a BAR. Fun to build, neat looking on the shelf and an awesome flyer! The Titan III MOL on the build pile is it’s spiritual successor. Thanks to the inimitable Dr. Zooch for all the fun building and launching - ant scale rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered some Zooch kits that I did not already have. Wish I had his Vanguard Eagle, but that was before my BAR phase kicked in. Good luck to Wes.

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could possibly see Apogee buying out his line and continuing limited production with a small royality for the Dr. Zooch name?

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wes is a very nice guy. I met him back at NARAM 47 when he was doing the the first prototypes. I love his kits and I will miss his line of rockets. I gave them out as gift to all my European rocketeer friends.
    I wish him the best and look forward to seeing him on the field some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy his kits. Enjoy his "Growing up with Spaceflight" books. Most of all enjoy his humor. Glad I got the Falcon Heavy. Best wishes, Wes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Just found a response from Dr. Zooch himself on TRF (Post #6):

      http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?145275-sad-news-Dr-Zooch-is-closing-up-shop&p=1774207#post1774207

      Delete
  6. I made a few purchases of Zooch rockets from the Apogee website just an hour ago. None were sold out at the time. Now three are.

    ReplyDelete