Wednesday, March 28, 2018

You'd Think An Ebay Seller Would Know Better By Now . . .

I recently bought a Quest Striker AGM kit on Ebay. This model has been a favorite and I wanted to build it better this time.
Take a look at the padded shipping bag, we've been down this road before. I knew there was going to be damage even before it was opened up.


Before the kit was opened I responded to the seller through Ebay:

"I just received my Quest Striker AGM kit in the mail.
Please do not send rocket kits (with body tubes) in a padded envelope!







The second picture shows a tear in the back of the bag.The main body tube is bent on both ends requiring me to cut off 3/4" from each side to get a round tube. That is if I can use the tube at all. I haven't opened the kit bag yet.


The third picture shows both ends of the body tube with end crimps on both sides.
Another problem - This is Quest 35mm tubing. Estes tubes cannot be substituted for it. They are not the same diameter.
If I were to order a replacement 35mm tube from Quest directly, I would probably have to pay almost $10.00 for shipping!
I am not happy about the way the model kit was shipped. Rocket kits should be packaged in a box for mailing. I have received many kits sent in boxes with no damage to the parts.
Where do we go from here?"

You'd think a seller named "Wise Guy Hobbies" would be a little smarter than this!
Here's the email exchange -
Wise Guys Hobbies:
I apologize for the issue I don't see any damage to the rocket from the photos. I can partially refund you for the tube or you can return the item.

My Response:
If you were to do a partial refund to cover replacement of the tube -
If ordered from Quest, here's the cost with shipping directly copied from their website:
One T35 body tube - $2.90
Estimated Tax Total $0.00
Estimated Postage Total $9.00
Estimated Basket Total $11.90

You can't see the crimping of the tube ends in the photo? Look at the last picture on the left side. The ends are bent in and the tube strength is compromised.
The tube is not usable. If the bent areas were cut off the model would lose 1 1/2" in overall length when assembled.
Wise Guys Hobbies:
I can split the cost of the tube with shipping or you can send the item back I can't justify that much of a loss on a low dollar item for a bend I can't really make out from your photos.

My Response:
The tube ends are crimped and unacceptable. Looking through the bag I can now see a crease towards the middle. You were in error by sending the kit is a padded envelope.
Why should I be the one to absorb the cost of your bad packing?
If you were to pay half of the replacement cost and shipping I would would still be out an additional $5.95. If I were to send it back, do you pay the return shipping?

In the end, the vendor said they send a return shipping label. I never received it!
I had planned to send the kit back in the same crappy envelope.
I have some shorter Quest style 35mm tubes and could make up some couplers I guess.
I'm not going to make up an order for single tube.
Maybe I'll pick up the 18" 35mm tube when the Quest Jet C and D engines are for sale.
Steer clear of Wise Guys Hobbies on Ebay!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, thanks for the heads up about this vendor. I have experienced the "smashed rocket in an envelope" and wondered 'what were you thinking?'. I complained and got a free replacement - smashed in an envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, file a complaint with eBay and get your money back. They'll settle it for you, but it can take a couple of weeks. I wouldn't accept the kit in that condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave -
      I filed a complaint! We'll see where it goes.

      Delete
  3. My worst two eBay experiences:
    #1) Bought a very thick vintage LP record. Seller sent it in a padded envelope. Received it broken clean in half.
    #2) Bought a hard drive. Seller sent it wrapped in brown paper AND NOTHING ELSE. Dead as a doornail.
    Indeed, file a complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, this seller has either very bad eyesight, or a case of selective vision syndrome if he wasn't able to see the tube crimps in your photos. Those virtually pop out at you! Sorry you got such a bum deal. Speaking of crimped/bent tubes in kits, I've noticed a lot of that on the pegboards full of kits hanging in Hobby Lobby. Makes you wonder about Estes' shipping methods to retail vendors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering that I've got "Mr. Magoo" eyesight, and I *can* see the damage in the attached images, it does indeed seem strange that the eBay vendor couldn't see it.... However... it does depend on how the images were being viewed. If you were looking at "zoomed/maximized" image on a typical desktop/laptop screen then you'd easily see the crimped ends -- but probably not when you were viewing the just the thumbnails. Also if you were viewing the images in "fit-to-screen" mode on a smallish screen of a tablet or smartphone you might not be able to see the damage.

      Delete
    2. Ed and Naoto,
      The dents and crimps are actually worse than the picture shows. Like I wrote, the strength of the tube is compromised.
      I don't believe the seller couldn't see the damage. They were just looking for excuses for not wanting to have it sent back.

      Delete
    3. To Ed,
      The kits are probably fine when they arrive from Estes and are first hung on the peg board. I think people squeeze them through the bags to see how strong the tubes are. Always double check the tubes before you buy a kit from a hobby store.

      Delete
  5. As for the seller's name... Ever try to Google "define:wise guy" ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. File w Ebay, don't even suggest it's usable in any way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Done! I've only dealt with a few bad sellers on Ebay. I hate it when they try to lie their way out. I once bought a "new" camera only to receive a reconditioned one. He swore it was a new camera. I've been taken advantage of before, it won't happen again!

      Delete