Monday, March 19, 2018

New Way Firecat 4 Build, Part 9, Shroud Line Tying TIP



On the back of the small "Recovery Kit" envelope face card there is instructions for a shroud line knot.
I tried the knot but it didn't work for me. This knot will slide up and cinch up around the middle of the Tyvek attachment strip.
I went back to my usual Square Knot tie.


TIP: Shroud line ties normally face each other at the parachute attachment points.
You can have the long end loops face each other on the flat side of the chute.


For the left side of the parachute "flat" side -
Start as shown on the upper picture, tie a square knot for a shroud line end that will face to the right.



For the other right side -
Start as shown on the upper picture for a shroud line that will end up facing to the left.




I tie shroud lines this way to make the tangle free final attachments easier.

5 comments:

  1. I usually use a bowline - note that you need a dot of glue on the knot since bowlines are notorious for shaking loose.

    These Tyvek strips look cool but I can't help but wonder if they won't snarl up and prevent the chute from opening. Had numerous problems with the old Quest stickers and learned early on to cut the free end of the knots close so there's nothing to hang up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim,
      I used to put a small dot of white glue on all my knots. I've found with the right knot the glue dot isn't needed. Never use Super Glues to set a knot, they can make the line brittle.
      I only have one other NewWay rocket, the Demon. I haven't had any problems with the Tyvek attachments or chte openings. I know what you mean about the Quest "Gripper" tabs, they are very stiff. I have to wonder if those Gripper tabs were re-purposed sticky tags used to hang products on store wall hooks.

      Delete
    2. Hi Chris - not to go all Boy Scouty on you but it looks like they're depicting a buntline hitch; that's a very secure knot. I'm trying to make out how you're tying that square knot, but it's hard to see on a computer screen. I'll search the archives here, you've probably gone over it all ready.

      Check on the CA and knots; in this situation I'd prefer something that stays soft anyway. Something along the lines of RC-56 or fabric glue.

      Yeah, I think those Quest tabs were for something else too. They sure gave me a lot of grief and I quickly learned not to use them.

      Delete
  2. That knot looks like a hitch. Kind of like a taut-line hitch. We use the taut-line hitch for tent lines. When they get loose you just hitch them up to ensure your tent lines are taut. They probably use a hitch so you can ensure all your para-cord lines are the same length. Just cinch up and down to even them out. hitches seem a bit loose for me to be used in this method though. They work good if you have friction (wrapped around tree (bark) or post) or have tension. Neither exists in this case, except when the rocket is descending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Scott, I think it's a buntline. A taut-line is probably not ideal for this application, as it's only good under tension else it will shake loose easily. I use it commonly to tie tarps down.

      It could work ok if you glue it after you're set up, though I don't speak from experience.

      Delete