Friday, July 13, 2018

BMS/Alway Saturn V Build, Part 10, Fin Fairing Black Paint


The fin fairings are painted white. I used gloss white. I can always use a flat clear coat later on.

Here I'm lightly sanding the side that will get black in the next step with 400 grit sandpaper.
I've set the slightly curved fairing around a epoxy bottle for support while sanding. You don't want creases to form behind the low end of the fin slot.
The fairing center split edge got a mask with Scotch tape. The tape was set on a glass window, marked with a Sharpie and cut down the center of the line.
Your surfaces must be smooth if you use Scotch tape for masking. I know Tamiya tape is available, but I'm cheap.




After the mask and the paint has dried -

The low color separation line ridge was sanded down for the next mask and silver paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment