Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Estes Leo Space Train #7285 Build, Part 9, Masking The Wings

I can get pretty good results using Scotch tape for masking. But - your surfaces have to be smooth, fillets and balsa grain filled to get a clean separations using any masking tape.




The outside M & L vertical stabilizers are half white, half gray. The color separation runs right down the laser cut line.


I probably should have glued on the Part N wing joint piece after masking the wing. In the face card pictures the N piece is white.
After gluing and filleting I had to mask it right down the middle.



Here's the complete mask for the light gray.

On the lower right, the "H" piece is also open to be painted gray.



After the tape was pulled -

I lucked out on this one, I was expecting problems but the lines came out clean.

4 comments:

  1. Looking great. I miss the old face card and catalog pictures of the real model rocket built and painted. The new computer generated rocket is easy to add complicated color schemes making it more challenging for the builder. Did you add the black line details? What gloss white are you now painting with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      The black lines are laser cut, halfway through the balsa. It takes some extra work to clear them while filling the grain and filler/primer shots.
      My latest gloss white paint is the Rusto High Performance Enamel (#7592) in the tall, silver can. So far it hasn't sprayed out the rough cottage cheese and it dries quickly. I have been using the Ace Premium brand enamels for the other colors. The Ace gloss white shot as a gloss, but dried flat!

      I get the feeling the graphic artists that do the face card renderings have never tried to mask and paint a kit! Some of the face card paint masks are too involved for most builders. That leads to disappointment when the tape is pulled after spray painting.
      I found it interesting, the few face cards that were actual pictures of a build were the Quest X-15 (body tube seams showing) and the Estes Quinstar showing balsa grain.

      Delete
  2. I know the cottage cheese was an issue, but the issue I had with Rusto was particles it would spray out onto the surface. Does the High Performance paint also spray out these stray particles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      We might be talking about the same thing with the rough, flat finish spray from the Gloss White Rusto 2X. It just happened too many times for me.
      So far, the Rusto High Performance Enamel has been fine. Consistent, glossy and smooth. The nozzles still get a little funky about halfway through the can, though. Rusto sent me some new nozzles to switch out but I am running low on those.

      Delete