Monday, February 10, 2020

Estes Leo Space Train #7285 Build, Part 2, Prepping & Gluing Up The Wings


The wing pieces are 3/32" thick. All laser-cut balsa edges are cut like a "wedge", a wider line at the top, thinner at the bottom.
To be sure your pieces butt-up close and tight, square up the sides with a sanding block.

These end pieces will be dealt with later. I wouldn't bother trying to square up the small DADO joints yet.





The two piece wings and vertical stabilizers were glued together on a sheet of glass with some light weights on top.


Here's what I meant about keeping the detail lines clear.
The CWF filler was brushed on, over the detail lines I wiped off the excess filler with my finger.





With some of the filler wiped off, I could see the cut detail lines underneath.

While the filler was still wet, I used a knife blade to open up and clear the filler from the lines.





Here's the wing after sanding the dried CWF filler.

Use a soft brush and clean out the sanding dust from the detail lines. It's a little extra effort to do this, but makes for a better looking model in the end.

6 comments:

  1. Those detail lines are quite interesting, has Estes ever done that before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to ask the same thing. Have you seen this on any kit by anyone before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil and Mustang,
      I don't remember seeing these laser cut detail lines in any previous kit.

      Delete
  3. I just picked up some vintage kits on eBay from Stellar Dimensions. The balsa has laser etched detailing like that. Now I'm considering using a highlighter instead of paint because I don't want to cover that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary,
      You are right! Looking back, the one Stellar Dimensions kit I built did have laser cut line details! I remember thinking those fine lines would be gone after filling and smoothing the surfaces!

      Delete
    2. Well there's another defunct kit manufacturer I hadn't heard of before. This list is surprisingly long.

      Delete