Monday, February 17, 2020

LAUNCH! Schoolyard Soccer Field, February 16, 2020

As close to perfect as the Soccer field gets! Cool weather at 7:00 a.m. and no wind.
Sometimes it's surprising what you see this early in the day. Hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of Pelicans flying East in a "V" formation. I've never seen this many together at one time.





I haven't launched an Odd'l Rockets BIRDIE in a while. Too fast with an A10-3t engine to get a launch shot!

Altitude was higher than I remember for a draggy rocket. I would estimate 150'.






The Custom SLV was second up with an Estes A8-3. Peak height was an estimated 200' with a 12" parachute recovery.

The upper BT-50 section is almost too short to pack the 12" diameter parachute. You've got to load wadding beneath that in the longer BT-20 center tube. The parachute is folded twice and pinched into a tight, narrow shape. The parachute also fits into the BT-20 mid section.




The Wasted Engine of the Day was a C6-3 in my FLYING PORTA PAD.
This "one-off" build was a re-draw of the Estes Hex 3 kit made to look like the old yellow Estes launcher from the 1970s.
It was successfully launched and stable three times before with B6 and C6 engines, once at NARAM 60.
Today the flight was not good. I guess a leg came loose during boost. It spiraled and probably only got to 30'. One leg was almost torn off when I picked it up. This one will end up in the trash can! No re-build is planned.





The SLS design was brought up on Facebook, someone asked if a kit was ever produced.
That reminded me I should fly my Dr. Zooch SLS. This one had the Saturn V roll pattern decor.
An Estes B6-4 was perfect for a 250' peak of flight. The Zooch yellow trash bag parachute brought it down easy.








My fifth and last launch of the morning was the classic The Estes RED MAX, boosted with a German made Quest B6-4. The model had just turned over when the ejection charge pushed out the chute. An estimated 275' altitude.









The Max landed a little too close to one of the three trees near the basketball courts! Do you ever talk to your rockets? I found myself saying out loud: "Stay out of the tree! Stay out of the tree!"


Five up, five recovered, one tossed!

OPINION: I'm sure a few are thinking: "I'm not interested in the launches, there are plenty of launch shots on Facebook. Get back on the Leo Space Train build!"
Most build more rockets than we actually fly. I don't seem to have as many launch days as I once did. An occasional launch keeps me in touch with the other side of the hobby. One of the more rewarding aspects for me is to get home, pour a cup of coffee and discover what images I was lucky enough to capture.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I second Mike's comments. With life right bow, I get even fewer launch opportunities, so, I too like seeing your launch posts. I like seeing your launches in person better, but this is great, too.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind seeing others' flight shots. Chris is right—these things are meant to fly, and I always try to fly everything I build at least once. Some get many flights (with a current record of 102 flights on one).

    Yes, I talk to them when they are headed for trees or other make-recovery-difficult situations.

    I've been lucky in that a good field for LPR/MPR is not prohibitively far to go, so I get to fly reasonably often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly don't mind your launch reports. Hope you don't mind me popping by your blog to share in the experience (I'm Californian after all)

    As for the question "Do you ever talk to your rockets?"
    Who doesn't?

    Ever have one of those times where you lost your train of thought while walking -- then started walking backwards to "rewind" in the hope you can recover it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please keep up the launch reports! It's interesting to see how they fly after the build.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree please continue the launch reports! Great to see the Zooch SLS still flying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody - I'll try to keep the occasional launch reports as interesting as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care much for the build posts--delete those and just keep the launch reports. :)
    Seriously, I enjoy both--don't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete