Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Estes Mercury Redstone Capsule Tip

When I assembled my Mercury Redstone capsules - 
I scraped and turned a small file to remove paint from the gluing "dimples" in the upper ring. (Shown at the right) With the paint removed I can get a better glue bond.

Here's a great TIP in a comment from LDJBaxter:
"As an experiment on our Little Joe capsule we placed a drop or two of white glue from a toothpick into the "dimples" prior to painting. After the glue dried and the piece was painted we used the hobby knife blade to pop out the glue and had a clean surface for glue."

Thanks Mr. Baxter! A small dot of white glue won't stick to the plastic and when removed makes a great small "point" mask! 

4 comments:

  1. Darn I’ll have to try this next time. That’s clever! I finished the capsule/tower yesterday. Now I’m building the booster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, Thanks for the awesome shout-out. I have a couple pictures if you'd be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried this last week with my newest Mercury build. It worked really well. Great tip from LDJBaxter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on the #1921 Redstone Capsule tonight. I will see if this works as well as it did on Little Joe.

    ReplyDelete