Friday, December 16, 2022

Estes Maxi-Brute Honest John (Kit #1269) Background

This was one of those kits I always wanted but never ordered. It's ideal for building since there is damage to the original kit box and might not be of value to a collector.

I picked this one up at the November R..O.C.K. launch from vendor Tom Tweit.
Tom had a price of $30.00 on the box. He discounted it because there was some damage to the box and centering rings. The rest of the kit, including the vacu-form fins, body tube and large nose cone looked like new.

This was one of the Estes Maxi Brutes, their larger D12-3 powered kits. The other two kits were the Pershing 1A and the V2, introduced in the 1974 catalog. The Honest John was added in 1975. That year, the Estes Saturn V and Saturn 1B both got the Maxi-Brute moniker.




Here's the specs:
37" tall, 2.6" diameter, 14 oz. weight.
Recommended Engine: D12-3






Here's one side of the original box. 
In the first picture above, I was able to comfortably put all the pieces in a different box. To get everything to fit in the smaller box, I simply cut the large vacu-form fin sheets in half. The original box was thrown away.






Check out the illustration on the side of the box.
"The Estes Launch System makes it fun to fly . . . "

Estes Launch System? 
That's a Centuri LIA-100 Heavy Duty Launcher!

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy! I built one of those in 1980 and it was a very satisfying build. I lost/threw out the paper that was supposed to go around the middle of the body tube. A strip of the perforated edge of tractor printer paper made a terrific replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Those round hole cuts can't be made using a hobby knife! I like your idea better!

      Delete
    2. Well, I'd've though an office punch would do the job. But my memory is fuzzy about the hole size.
      The only downside to the tractor paper is those holes weren't really round -- more like a 12- or 16-pointed star, but very shallow. It wasn't a detail I cared about, but you're fairly warned.

      Delete
  2. My uncle was on an Honest John crew when he was in the Army--I'm going to pass this build over to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one from the original run from 75. First flight was great - second flight, not so much. I'd either skimped or completely forgot to pack wadding, so it core-sampled. I put the parts away and told my mother to "leave them alone" which, in her language means "trash them immediately and play dumb when called on it".

    I've since acquired another one which sits safely in storage with the Maxi-V2 until I've gotten further through the build queue.

    ReplyDelete