Saturday, December 24, 2022

Estes Maxi-Brute Honest John (Kit #1269), Part 8, Nose Cone Fitting


I did notice a raised area on those sides of the fitted nose cone.
Look inside and find some thicker plastic down the inside seams. 

I wrapped some 220 grit around a small bottle and lowered the bump.









Here's the fitted nose cone - 
IT'S BIG!










The top of the lower NC section is flat. 
Holes need to be made in the bottom to attach the 1/4" wide shock cord.

Notice I marked the hole locations before drilling into the plastic.
TIP: Don't drill the holes on the molding seams. That's a weak point (thin plastic) in the nose cone mold.



The instructions suggest drilling the holes by spinning a knife tip.
Well - 
Use an old knife blades to start the holes. 

Then, I switched over to a half round diamond file. 
You can also use a Dremel tool to make the holes.





The holes are around 1/4" diameter.
The sides should be smooth. A sharp edge could wear through the shock cord.
 

2 comments:

  1. I know it's not a common tool in our hobby, but my RC car body reamer is the perfect tool for this job. I just showed Chris how to do this on our Loc 2.56" AMRAAM. It starts the hole and enlarges it very quickly and cleanly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      I had never thought of a reamer for this task. I have used a reamer in the past for the fifth string tapered hole on a banjo neck! That Banjo tool would be too large, but the smaller end R/C car body reamer would be perfect.

      Delete