Sunday, December 18, 2022

Estes Maxi-Brute Honest John (Kit #1269), Part 2, New DIY Centering Rings

This may not be a complete build and finished model. This big build has a pretty big footprint, I'm am running out of storage space. 
I will be concentrating on the fine details - 
The multi-piece launch shoes, two piece nose cone fit, gluing up and smoothing the vacu-for fin edges  and the cardstock ring wraps.

 
Most of the kit was in great shape - The centering rings weren't useable.
There was some water damage and delamination.
I could order new ones, but what fun is that? Sometimes it's quicker just to make my own.

I used the old rings to trace onto some white mat board. I traced four, two pair will be laminated  together. The original rings seemed thin if I decided to go with anything more than a D12 engine.


The centers are cut out using a new #11 blade. 
TIP: You'll find it easier to cut the centers first, then the outside of the ring.

Go slow, making the circle arc as smooth as possible.



Dry fit the ring onto the BT-50 tube.
The first cuts usually give a tight fit over the tube. Use some sandpaper around a fingertip to widen the hole to a good, friction fit.











After the centers are established,

Cut the outside line using scissors. More in the next post - 

No comments:

Post a Comment